Saturday, May 14, 2011

Flashpoint #1 - Review

After what feels like months of waiting (oh wait! It was.), Flashpoint #1 is finally here and the world of Flashpoint is ready to be explored.

After a glance back at Barry Allen's life for the new readers, The Flash is thrust into the world of Flashpoint, a world much like his own. But it's as Barry goes to don his costume that he notices his ring is missing and takes a quick tumble down the stairs to land at the feet of his mother; a victim of the Reverse Flash's backwards method of revenge on Barry Allen; killed years ago but alive and well today.

From here we're given a broader view of the world we're in. Millions have died at the hands of an ongoing battle between Atlantis and Themyscria, and the "heroes" that remain are ready to put an end to it. We get to meet the agents of S.H.A.Z.A.M., the leaders of the Secret Seven, the Outsider and Cyborg, along with a bunch of other characters DC has teased over the months. Honestly my favourite is Batman so far, and I'm sure I'm not alone in that.

Andy Kubert's art here is crisp and clean, and I really like it. His rendtition of a brighter (but no less dark) Gotham city is really great. Kubert is a quality artist and so I'm not surprised he's done another good job here, so I'm looking forward to the different artists for the mini-series instead.

The last page reveal in this opening issue is something that really surprised me, and will make me sure to watch the rest of this series like a hawk. Honestly, as the final page of The Flash #12 revealed, I'm a little disappointed that the Reverse Flash is to blame for Flashpoint, even though I really like him. Even so, being introduced to the new versions of our favourite characters in the way we are has grabbed my interest, and I'm going to be sure to check out the mini-series starting next month. Either way, Flashpoint is a quality read that I was happy to finally hold in my hand. I went out and bought it, I suggest you do the same.

NB: It still makes me mad that I spoiled the big reveal for myself by accidentally looking straight at the text bubble on the last page, stupid brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment