Sunday, June 12, 2011

Flashpoint Failure Follow-up

Another week of Flashpoint tie-ins and another let down from me, maybe when I cull my list a bit I'll dive into some more detailed reviews. Soon I'll be finished with my university commitments, and then it's only my new PS3 and L.A. Noire standing in my way to fantastic bloggery. Anyway, this week brought four more books, along with some nice pins and (more importantly) some nice comics.

Emperor Aquaman #1 was the big draw for me this week, as I had wanted to read about his exploits since seeing the first cover art. Lots of people see Aquaman as a bit of a joke in the superhero department; you wouldn't want to joke about this Aquaman, he'll sink your continent. Everything felt a little obvious as I read it, there weren't many surprises to be had, but it was still enjoyable and the art was spot on as well. So with promises of more earth-shattering events in this mini, I'm definitely sticking around.

Frankenstein and the Creatures of the Unknown #1 didn't have as much Nazi killin' in it as I would have liked, but it still gave a solid start to the mini-series. I'm a little surprised we moved out of WWII so quickly, but I suppose it wouldn't be super relevant otherwise. Frankenstein is an interesting character, who hunts down evil with a supernatural zeal. It's nice to see he doesn't get on well with all the members of the Creature Commandos, and that he isn't the perfect hero. The art for 'Frankenstein' is really great, so bring on issue #2.

Deathstroke and the Curse of the Ravager #1 gave us a lethal pirate and caring father wrapped up in one, as well as some nice water-based combat. Deathstroke is a man on a mission to find his daughter, and god help anyone who gets in his way. The art on this mini isn't as polished as "Emperor Aquaman" and "Frankenstein" but it fits the story well. And with the final page tying into Flashpoint #2, I'm looking forward to Deathstroke's tussle with Aquaman next issue.

Citizen Cold #1 helps to set up Leonard Snart as a hero rather than a villain in the Flashpoint timeline, even though he's a villain anyway. It's nice to see that Cold isn't so different from his regular counterpart, and I like that the citizens of Central City are so willing to watch him murder someone and cheer about it. Scott Kolins on art works well with the story and helps to tie it together with his recent work on "The Flash". The issue ends on a cliffhanger of sorts, and with the Rogues looking like they're got a plan for Cold, the next issue will hopefully provide some nice tension.

It was nice to see all the minis this week are worth sticking with, but I'm really looking forward to the Deadman mini-series coming out next Wednesday. Flashpoint!

No comments:

Post a Comment