Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Flashpoint Failure

Well, I've dropped the ball again. The new Flashpoint comics weren't in until Friday, and I was working on an assignment all weekend. And if this weeks comics don't come in today, I won't be able to pick them up until Friday, and I need to study for my exams.

That said, Flashpoint #2 was an interesting comic that didn't really gel together, as it tried to portray the whole world instead of stick to Barry Allen's story and explaining it through him. That said, the final page again held a surprise for readers, and things aren't turning out great for Barry.

Batman - Knight of Vengeance #1 was easily my favourite of the mini-series last week. Thomas Wayne makes a great Batman, and in his shaky concept of justice (goodbye Killer Croc) he is a clear distinction from his son. the art was interesting, and the darkness and gritty quality of it really fits the title. The mystery fo the Joker's identity is driving me to stick with this one (Just for you internet, I think it might be a brain damaged Bruce). Bring on issue #2.

Secret Seven #1 was a bit of an interesting ride, but I found it left me confused. I've never read anything with Shade the Changing Man before, and so I know nothing about him. I learnt he was sent to Earth to hunt insane criminals and that he wears a vest that gives him special powers. This vest has malfunctioned and made itself more powerful, but I still don't get how it works. Still, the art was very science-fiction matching the story, and the Enchantress should help drive this tale. I'll be getting issue #2.

Abin Sur - The Green Lantern #1 was clearly modelled off the Green Lantern movie concept art. While this is not a complaint, it felt like a bit of a cop out, bastardising the Green Lantern mythos in an alternate timeline to get a bit more money. Still, the story was fine, but not interesting enough to hold my attention for another issue.

The World of Flashpoint #1 really didn't do it for me. Traci 13 lost her family and now she's training to be a stronger magician. Her dad is part of a council looking to destroy the Amazons and the Atlanteans with a massive laser from space. She doesn't want it to happen, but the countdown has started. That's about all that happened. No thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment